Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Holiday Preparations


With the holidays fast approaching, I have been on overdrive trying to get things done.  I have lots of great deals in store for this Black Friday- Cyber Monday, some new items, and a new pattern to list as well!
Then of course, because I didn't have enough to do already, I decided that I must make something new for my daughter to wear for Thanksgiving.  I've had a skein of Indian Corn superwash merino wool (from Expression Fiber Arts) sitting in one of my yarn totes, calling to me for a couple of weeks now.  It was begging me to transform it into something fantastic!  But I just didn't know what that might be.  A hat?  Perhaps a scarf?  Hmmm....
It finally came to me a couple of nights ago... a new outfit for my daughter!  At first it was going to be a dress, then it became a flowy long tank top.  Then I realized it could be a convertable ensemble.  If I make the straps adjustable, it can function as a short dress, a long top and a skirt with suspenders!  Plus, it will grow with her, so that she will get lots of wear out of it, which is important to me.
I'm happy to say that this is now more than halfway complete, as I have several other items to create, finish, photograph and list before the week is through.
 
 
 
These mittens are my newest pattern and are set for release on Black Friday!  They will be half price through Monday for the holiday sale.  They are the Amazingly Cozy Crocheted Mittens, as they are to be worked up in Amazing yarn by Lion Brand.  They can of course be created in any medium weight yarn, but I just love the wooly cozyness of that yarn!  One of my testers worked up a pair in Caron Simply Soft which came out beautifully, and would make a great option for those with wool allergies.
 
They are offered in three different adult sizes (women's small and med/large and men's large) with a length variation for the men's large.  Each size has its own different cuff.  They work up very quick and easy, making them a great last minute gift idea.  Make some for everyone in your family!
 
 
I have also been trying to get holiday presents made for my own family.  I love homemade presents!  I love making them, giving them, and receiving them!  They are just a little more special.  Something given from the heart, made with your own two hands.  All of the hours of thought and work that goes into it.  I have been making presents for my family for years, and for some reason, I never seem to start early enough.  I am always racing the clock up till the very end to get things done.  This year is no different.  In fact, it's a little tougher to get my own stuff done this year since starting my own business.
I have at least started.  I have a beautiful stuffed mermaid doll which I am crocheting in more superwash merino wool from Expression Fiber Arts ( I just LOVE her yarn!), that is nearly finished.  She will be a present for my daughter.  I also plan on sewing some flannel pj bottoms and a pillow case for her.  I'll be crocheting her another animal or two as well as a new ornament (I make her one each year).
I have socks nearly finished for the hubby, a hat for my mother in-law, and some other items for my family.
There just doesn't seem to be enough hours in a day during this time of year.  Wouldn't you agree?
 
I will be offering major deals in my Etsy shop this coming weekend as well as a couple of flash sales on my facebook page.  So keep checking in periodically to score some hot deals and finish your holiday shopping!
 
Oh.... and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment