Saturday, March 2, 2013

National Crochet Day 2: Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

Well, it's day 2 of National Crochet Month, so here is post #2!  It's a special day too.  Not only is it Dr. Seuss's Birthday (Seuss' (?) hmm... anyway), but it was also my mother's birthday.  My mom was a very special woman, and she inspired me to create and do what I love.  I miss her dearly, and think of her all the time.  My business name "Cavendish" is a small tribute to her (kind of an inside joke relating to the Lone Ranger) and she really was a big reason behind me starting this venture.

“I’m glad we had the times together just to laugh and sing a song, seems like we just got started and then before you know it, the times we had together were gone.” 
― Dr. Seuss

“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” 
― Dr. Seuss

Unfortunately I don't have any super cute Dr. Seuss related crochet items to share:(  I did make my daughter this cute little skirt last year with some fabulous Seuss fabric!



In addition to all the pattern writing/editing I have been doing recently, I have also been trying to finish up quite a few WIPS that have been laying around the house for quite some time.  Some of them have been waiting years (that's right, years!) for me to pick them back up.  Here are a couple of blankets that I have in the works for my daughter's room.  The first is actually the first blanket I "made"!  Though I suppose I can't really say that it is the first, considering I haven't even finished it.  Hmm... Anyhoo, it grew to be bigger than I planned, and now it will be closer to a twin bed size.  She is not yet in a twin bed, so I am still ahead of the game I figure.



When I found this beauty sitting in a bag in my craft corner, I thought it would be perfect for Easter!  Maybe I will actually finish it by then......maybe.  Oh, did I mention I started this while pregnant with my now 2 1/2 year old?  Yup, it's been a while.

I also started these African Flower hexagons a good while back (a year ago), and had every intention of turning them into another twin sized blanket for my daughter.  I created an edging for the top and started to make all of the colorful hexies in shades of purple, blue, and teal.  My attention span being that of a gnat, I set them aside to work on something else, and forgot to pick them back up again.  They will make a wonderful blanket, but it's going to take at least another 100 of them for it to happen.  I'm thinking that one will not be ready by Easter.  Perhaps I can shoot for her birthday in September... or Christmas?




“You're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting,
So... get on your way!” 
― Dr. SeussOh, the Places You'll Go!
What are you crocheting today?  Hope it's something fun!  If you get the chance, read some Seuss today!  I know we will;)
“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” 
― Dr. SeussHappy Birthday to You!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE MAN WHO BROUGHT SO MUCH JOY TO ALL!

No comments:

Post a Comment