Friday, November 2, 2012

Free Yarny Goodness!

Check out this box of yarny goodness!  Picked this up while trick-or-treating.  How cool is that?!
A friend's mom had all of this yarn, and gave it to me, so I am going to have lots of fun with it!  There is some virgin wool, acrylic, and several skeins in the same color, so maybe I can make a larger project.  I see another sweater or two in my future.  Perhaps I will make her a pair of mittens or a cowl as a thank you.  Still trying to decide what to make her from this....

In the meantime, I have been working on some sweaters and a couple of hat and mitten sets for my cousin's boys.  I have found sweater making addicting, and my daughter needs to have her fall/winter wardrobe bulked up, so this works out quite well.  I am also trying to use up a lot of the yarn in my stash before I will allow myself to purchase anymore.  Call it a yarn diet.  So I created this sweater vest from some leftovers that I thought went together very nicely.  It's almost finished.




 I have another sweater in the works, a Christmas colored one, that is using up some more of my Simply Soft acrylic.  I have been debating whether to keep it, gift it, or list it for the holiday season.  It would be a good sweater for a little boy, and I always seem to make girl's items since I have a little girl.
 
 
 
My cousin wanted to buy some hat and mitten sets for her boys.  She said the ones in the stores were cheap quality and thin.  She wanted something nice that would keep them warm.  So I am busy at work on those at the moment. 
 
 
This one is for her 3 1/2 year old boy, whose favorite color is blue and has that and lime green on his winter coat.  I thought this yarn I had on hand would be perfect.  As much as I love working in natural fibers these days, she didn't want wool (scratchy), and acrylic is really easier to care for.  When you have two boys, 2 and 3 1/2 years, you need easy care items.  I doubled up the strands for the hat, and I think I will also be lining it with some fleece for extra warmth and softness.
Her other little boy is my daughter's age and loves Elmo!  So naturally I am going to make him an Elmo hat.  I made one for my daughter, and it was a big hit with everyone.  I don't list them in my shop due to copyright and licensing issues.  I want nothing to do with that.  But I am more than happy to make them for friends and family!  He'll get some red mittens to match.


My daughter in her Elmo hat I made for her
 
 
In other news, I will be offering a new special starting Monday and running through the end of this year!  Each week I will offer one hat from my Etsy shop at a 20% discount!  Every Monday I will post a different hat on my facebook page at 20% off.  One hat per week(whether it sells or not) and after that week it will return to its full price.  This offer can not be combined with any other coupons/offers.  This would be a great way to save on some holiday shopping if you're buying handmade this year.
I am also planning several things for the upcoming Black Friday and Cyber Monday, so stay tuned!
 
Have you started your holiday shopping/making?  I am behind already, but I'm working on things now.  Not much time left till Christmas!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment