Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Little Reading

 I finally cracked open that book!
I love reading, but I find that I don't often have the time for it anymore.  I have been crocheting so much lately, that I never managed to even start this book.  I knew I would love it, because it is by one of my favorite authors, Nicholas Sparks, but I just had to find the time.
Well a couple of days ago I picked it up, and I could barely put it down!  Of course I had to for things like cooking, laundry, work and sleep, but I finished it within a few days, and it was AMAZING!
His books never seem to disappoint, and this may be one of my favorites of his.  Though I admit, I did predict  some of it, it was still chilling and moving as it all unfolded.  I do enjoy a good tearjerker, though since becoming a parent, I find I can't always handle truly sad stories.  This book combined some of my favorite genres: mystery/suspense/thriller and romance.  It really had it all and it came together so well.  I would highly recommend it!
Now I suppose after a few days of not crafting, I should get back to it.
 I began this dress for my daughter last week.  I have a bunch of my grandmother's old sewing patterns, and I have been wanting to try them out for quite some time.  I have never sewn from a pattern before, so I wasn't sure I was up to the challenge.  I finally decided to try one.  I chose this adorable fabric, A Walk In the Woods by Aneela Hoey for Moda, in pink and blue (as they seem to be her favorite colors lately).
I began by tracing the bodice pieces, but soon realized that I wasn't happy with the ruffled collar/yoke or the skirt portion.  So I am now kind of winging it.  It is coming along nicely, but I found it a bit stressful sewing a dress, and I have put it aside for a bit.
I am definitely more of a crochet gal.  Not only does it come more naturally to me, but it is very relaxing.  Although I have been wanting to sew many things lately, I tend to get stressed and a tad bit peeved with my machine.
 I am also working on the above project: patchwork sides on my jeans.  Remember these pants?  They were pretty common in my high school.  I always loved the look, and since I have several decent pairs of jeans which I have no hope of fitting my rather large(mother's) hips into, I thought I would give myself the chance to wear them again.  Sure saves in buying new pants, and I get to use up some of my fabric scraps.
I will share the finished pics when I get to sewing the strips on.
 Now that I have finished my book, I really want to start another one!  I am on a reading kick, but I must finish my shawl and my daughter's skirt for the sheep and wool festival that we will be attending on Mother's Day.  That's this Sunday!  Not much time.  Fortunately both are at least half way done.  I thought it only made sense to wear some wool to the festival, but with it being so hot lately, I chose this light open weaved look with fingering weight superwash merino from Expression Fiber Arts.

Do you all enjoy reading as well as crafting?  Any good book recommendations?  I would love to hear what you are reading these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment