Monday, April 22, 2013

Creating a Memory Blanket



 Just last week two young girls (14 years old from a neighboring town) were walking home from school, when a Jeep crossed the center line, jumped the curb, and struck them on the sidewalk.  One of the girls did not make it, and the other is in serious condition.  My heart just aches for them and their families.  There can be no greater pain than losing a child.

I felt in my heart that I must do something for them.  So I am collecting granny squares to create a memory blanket for the family of the girl who was killed.  I am asking all those who can contribute some to help.  Even if it's just one square, everyone helps.  I am hoping to have about 100, 6" x 6" squares.  I will assemble them once I have enough.

I have started to make some myself.  Not knowing these girls, I am just trying to use feminine colors, flowers, hearts, and anything else I can think of.  Some are plain squares, some have design or items on them.  Here are a few that I have started.
 I found a tutorial to the square I just finished (above), here.  It was a little tricky to figure out, as the instructions are a translation from Spanish, but with the photos, you can figure it out.

It took me a little while, so I am not sure how many of these I will add to this particular blanket, but I would like to try them again in different colors.  I am sure once I make a few, they will go much quicker and easier.

I have a few more ideas for different squares with design elements, and I will be making several plain grannies in various colors as well.  I find there is something therapeutic in crocheting a granny square.
I have volunteers from various areas of the country, as well as some local, but I could definitely use more.

I am looking for 6 x 6 inch granny squares, acrylic yarns only, with feminine colors.  They can be plain, designed, or anything you can think of.

If you would like to help, please contact me either by facebook private message or by email:
cavendishclassiccrafts@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment