Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Homemade Yummyness!

 I have been craving all things homemade now that spring is here.  This tends to happen; I get rejuvenated and feel the need for obsessive cleaning, creating and baking.
Last night I decided to bake so lovely chocolate chip cookies.  I got half my ingredients in the bowl only to discover that we had no eggs.  Ugh...  Hate it when that happens!  Oh well, I was half way there, and we were going to have some cookies.(You can't tell a two year old that you baking cookies, and then just stop; they don't like that)
My hubby has substituted mayo for eggs in the past in brownies yielding mediocre results.  They are still yummy, but tend to not have the same consistency.  I figured I would give it a try though.  So I used a little over a tablespoon of mayo in place of one egg, and I must say, it worked out splendidly!
The cookies were delicious, the batter was completely safe for my little one to eat (she helped spoon the dollops onto the pan, and she just had to lick her fingers and spoon ;) ), and I think I will continue to make them this way.
I have also heard of people using flax seed and water to substitute, and I would like to try that as well.
I decided last night that considering the great weather forecast for the week, we would get up early to get the fixin's for breakfast, pick up some paint, seeds and soil at the hardware store and get some things done.
Unfortunately the forecast was a bit off.  We did have the most amazingly delicious breakfast with eggs, potatoes with peppers and onions, toast with strawberry jam ( I have been craving this for weeks), bacon, and sausage.  So good, and I think I will be full all day.
I got a bit of cleaning done.  I am trying to get a few nice pieces of wooden furniture out of our addition/storage room to redo for my crafts room.  I cleaned two pieces: my rocking chair(a must have for the crocheter/hand sewer) and a cute little end table.  I am not sure exactly what I am doing with the little table yet, but I am painting it purple because, well why not?  I love purple!  And my new crafts room is going to be a colorful delight!
My hubby spray painted the primer on it outside, and within half an hour the sky opened up.  Oh well.
We did get to buy our seeds and soil, and we made a dent in our project.
Now I am settle in for a relaxing evening of crochet and pattern edits.  I should be ready to release my Simply Sweet Sunhat and choose the two winners of the pattern by Thursday.
Happy crocheting till next time!
And in light of yesterday's events I would like to leave you all with a parting quote by a childhood favorite of mine:
“When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ To this day, especially in times of ‘disaster,’ I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers - so many caring people in this world.” - Mister Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment